WEEK TWO – EXTENDED REFLECTION OF PASSAGE
Insights on God’s Plan Jeremiah – 29:11 (NIV)
NOTE FOR GROUP LEADER: With the group, read or listen to the passage again and discuss any, or all, of the reflection questions. Items needed: Reading of passage and questions.
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Note to group leader: Use the following questions for reflection/discussion after the reading. You may select just a few based on your group.
- How do you think the exiles felt when they were driven from their home?
- What were their physical needs? Spiritual needs? Social and emotional needs?
- How are these needs similar to our needs? How are they different?
- How do you think the Jews received the message from Jeremiah?
- How would you have received the message?
- If you believe in God, does God have a plan for you?
- What do you believe might be God’s plan for you? At this point in your life, do you believe that you are living God’s plan for you? Why or why not? At what point do you consider yourself to be in God’s plan for you?
- If God has a plan for you, does it mean that you have personal freedom to make your own choices also? Explain.
- If you do not believe in God, have you ever considered and developed a plan for yourself? At this point, do you believe you have been able to follow your plan? Why or why not? At what point do you consider yourself to be in your plan?
- What must we do to allow the Lord’s plan for us to be activated and maintained?
- How does this message impact you? How might it change your actions in the future?
NOTE TO GROUP LEADER: At the end of the session, you may want to allow a few moments for open discussion and what the session may have meant for the group.